Tennis, or white sports shoes, are timeless, since it is a shoe with great versatility that combines with any outfit, whether casual, sporty or even more elegant. In addition, they are popular with both men and women, youth and adults, as tennis is made for all tastes.
However, to look really good, white tennis shoes must be immaculate, as any stain or dirt gives them a terribly untidy appearance. For this reason, many people try to wash them with various methods, something that leads to a worse problem: they turn yellow. If this is your case, do not miss the following oneHOWTO article, as we explain how to remove yellow from tennis shoes and how to bleach them so they look just like the first day.
How to whiten yellowish tennis shoes
There are some reasons why tennis shoes turn yellowThe most common being that dirt and sweat particles accumulate in the material of the shoe. On the other hand, if they are washed with chlorine and bleach, they can also turn yellowish, just as if they are not rinsed well after a wash, since the soap particles oxidize in the sun.
If you wonder how to whiten yellowish tennis shoes, you should know that it can be an arduous task, since each of the materials with which they are made (fabric, leather, semi-leather, etc.) require particular treatments. To make this task easier for you, at OneHOWTO we offer you some infallible methods to clean white sneakers.
- White vinegar and baking soda
- Soap and “magic eraser”
- Liquid dishwasher
- Fresh milk
White vinegar and baking soda
This method is special for Converse sneakers or any other fabric or canvas shoes, so if your footwear is dirty and you want to leave it as new, we will explain how to whiten yellowish tennis shoes with these natural products. Prepare:
- A tablespoon of baking soda
- Two tablespoons of white vinegar
- A clean toothbrush
- Large soft brush
- Warm water
Wondering how to remove the yellow from tennis shoes with these inexpensive ingredients? Follow these steps:
- The first thing you will have to do is remove all the dust from the shoes with a dry brush.
- Next, mix the baking soda with the vinegar and, with the toothbrush soaked in the paste, gently clean the tennis shoes.
- The mixture will dry quite quickly, so the next step will be to brush them again to remove the traces of baking soda from the shoes.
- Let them dry in the sun for about a day.
If your tennis shoes are very dirty and you think they could use a wash with warm soapy water, you can bet on this option too; of course, make sure that no product contains bleach or chlorine. In no case use the washing machine or the dryer, as it is best that they dry in the open air without the sun touching very directly.
White soap and
If your shoes are leather or semi-leather, this technique is especially good for them. Also, you’re in luck, because the material is much easier to clean than canvas or fabric. You must have:
- Paper towels
- A white bar soap
- Flannel or cotton rags
- A “magic eraser” or melanin sponge
If you wonder how to remove yellow from tennis shoes with this product, follow this step by step:
- Dampen a paper towel; it is important that it is not soaked in water, so be careful.
- Proceed to clean the entire external surface of the tennis shoes. Pay attention to the seams and seams and, if necessary, rinse the towel to continue cleaning. Let it dry for a few minutes.
- Wet the “magic eraser” and remove the excess water. Rub all over the shoe, from top to bottom, until the yellowish spots disappear.
- Every time you need to rinse the sponge, make sure to wring it out really well.
- After completing this step, lather up the soap and gently wipe the leather with the flannel cloth.
- Clean the soap residue with another damp cloth and, before putting it on again, let it dry well. You may need to repeat this procedure if the shoes are very dirty or stained.
Maybe it is necessary to apply a coat of white paint or polishSo be sure to visit this article on How to Care for Leather Shoes for a more complete explanation.
Another good way to wash your white tennis shoes without damaging them is with soap and water. You want to know how to bleach white cloth tennis shoes? Follow this step by step:
- A large chapel
- Liquid dishwasher
- Used toothbrush
To learn how to whiten yellowish shoes With a liquid dishwasher, you should start by removing excess dirt and dust with the large brush. Keep in mind that white shoes must always be dry before each wash, as only then will you avoid staining them with wet dust.
- Mix half a teaspoon of dishwasher in half a liter of water.
- With the small brush, mix well and scrub the shoes.
- When done, dip a cloth in clean water and rinse your shoes.
- Stuff the shoes with kitchen or blotting paper and let them dry near a heat source.
Hydrogen peroxide to whiten tennis shoes
Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is really useful against stains, since it is a product full of whitening, disinfecting and antiseptic properties. To clean white tennis shoes with hydrogen peroxide, you will only need:
- Soft brush
We explain how to whiten yellowish tennis shoes with hydrogen peroxide step by step:
- Rinse the shoes with lukewarm water before you begin, then generously apply the hydrogen peroxide directly to the stains.
- Wait half an hour and, with the soft brush, proceed to review the most critical places. Do it carefully and do not overdo it, as the material of the shoes could be damaged.
- Rinse with plenty of warm water and repeat the process if necessary.
- Let the shoes dry naturally for about a day.
In order for your sneakers to remain intact for as long as possible, we at UNCOMO recommend you visit this article on How to care for fabric shoes.
Milk for bleaching patent leather shoes
Did you know that milk is a very useful product when it comes to cleaning and bleaching patent leather shoes and accessories? It is important that you limit the use of this home remedy to patent leather products, since otherwise you could damage your shoes or your clothes.
Milk has whitening properties that will leave your patent leather tennis shoes as new, so if yellowish stains or mold appear, follow this step by step:
- Dip a dry cloth (or cotton ball) in fresh cow’s milk.
- Run the cloth over the areas of the shoe that you want to clean. Do this carefully but feel free to use plenty of milk if the stains seem difficult to remove.
- With another dry cloth, remove the milk residue and let the shoes dry.
In this article on How to clean patent leather shoes we offer you much more information.
Toothpaste to remove yellow from tennis shoes
Some people use toothpaste to clean white slippers. Of course, the cream must be white and in no case should it contain gel. Normally these products contain sodium bicarbonate, a very useful bleaching product for cleaning the home and different clothes. You will need to:
- White toothpaste
- Clean cloth
Put the paste on the brush and rub it all over the shoe. Once this step is done, wait 10 to 15 minutes and remove the cream with a cloth dampened in water.
How to whiten the sole of tennis shoes
It is also possible that, apart from having the fabric stained, your shoes have yellowish and worn soles. If this is your case, we will teach you how to remove yellow from the rubber of sneakers easily:
- The first thing you will have to do is brush your shoes with soap and water.
- Rub them very well, without touching the leather or fabric. If you want to be more secure, protect that material with adhesive tape and brush very carefully those parts close to the fabric.
- Let the shoes dry very well and check if there are still stains. If so, go through the “magic eraser” we’ve already mentioned, always making sure it’s a bit moistened.
- Rub again very cautiously. It is delicate work and requires patience, so do not rush.
Let your shoes dry very well naturally and … voila! You can wear your shoes as if they were new. Do you want more tips to clean shoes that are easy and effective? If so, don’t miss this other oneHOWTO link.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to remove yellow from tennis shoes, we recommend that you enter our Home Cleaning category.