Caviar is called sturgeon roe, a prehistoric fish that can be found in the Caspian Sea and in some lakes and rivers in Europe and central Asia. It is a truly delicate food, it must be kept at cold temperatures and opened specifically at the time it is to be eaten. Due to the limited availability of sturgeon species (beluga, esvruga and Russian sturgeon), caviar is a very expensive food.
On the other hand, caviar serves as a starter to any main dish, as well as it can also be consumed alone or in the company of other foods such as eggs, toast, aubergines, salmon, among others. If you want to know more about this gastronomic luxury, continue reading in oneHOWTO and find out about how to eat caviar.
How to eat caviar alone
Caviar is a delicate food that can be eaten alone or in the company of other foods, it also has a delicate flavor that should not be too salty or taste too fishy. If you have the possibility of accessing this delicacy, keep in mind the following aspects to eat caviar alone correctly:
- Caviar should be eaten in small quantities. If it’s your first bite, don’t fill the entire scoop. In this way, you can better taste its nuances and flavors. Later, you can eat a tablespoon. It is not usually served more than 60 grams per person.
- When it’s in your mouth, don’t chew it. Let it fall apart and enjoy its flavors.
- Make sure to roll the roe in your mouth using your tongue.
How to eat caviar with butter and blinis
There are different ways to accompany a bite of caviar. Some people eat them with toast, unsalted cracker, or crunchy slices. It is also very common to serve it on a blini, a traditional pancake of Slavic origin. Some experts argue that spreading butter on the base before serving the caviar will improve its flavor. To prepare and eat caviar with butter and blinis, you must follow the following steps:
- Spread a little butter or sour cream to enhance the flavor of the caviar.
- Place a small teaspoon of caviar without crushing it, you just have to place it on the blini.
- You can garnish the dish with a few chives of chives, a splash of lemon juice, or fresh herbs like parsley or dill.
- Roll it up or leave it unwrapped and it’s ready to eat.
You can use these same steps and tips to eat caviar on toast or crackers. Salmon is also an excellent companion for caviar, in this article we show you How to make an appetizer with salmon.
What do you drink with caviar?
One of the most classic ways to accompany this food is drink caviar with a glass of cold vodka to cleanse the palate. In this oneHOWTO article, we tell you all about what are the main varieties of vodka and their flavors. Other alcoholic beverages that you can use for the same purpose are champagne, sparkling wine, and cava. It is recommended to alternate a mouthful of caviar with the drink.
In the United States, it was traditional to consume it with beer, using caviar as a salty snack to promote its sale. Today, although it is a rare combination, it has its affections.
Tips for eating caviar
There is a whole label to eat caviar correctly and enjoy this luxury in a way that enhances all its flavors and nuances. These are some of the best tips for eating caviar:
- Caviar must be kept very well refrigerated. You can place it on top of the refrigerator to help maintain its flavor.
- Its consumption should not exceed 6 months since it was produced, in this way you can be sure that you are consuming fresh caviar.
- Use a glass or wooden teaspoon to eat it. Mother-of-pearl and bone teaspoons are also commonly used to enjoy caviar. Instead, metal cutlery should be avoided, as they can easily change the taste of caviar.
- Caviar should be served completely cold. It can be presented in a non-metallic container with an ice base to maintain its temperature.
- You can recognize a good quality caviar by its appearance. The caviar balls should be round, medium and shiny. They must come whole and full. In addition, when tasting it, it should not be very salty.
If you are interested in learning more about the world of roe, do not hesitate to enter our article How to cook fish roe.
The price of caviar – how much does it cost?
Caviar is one of the most expensive foods in the world, due to the small population of sturgeons. In addition, they take a long time to reach sexual maturity and produce roe. The sturgeon is in danger of extinction, so its hunting has also been banned. The price of caviar it usually varies depending on the kind you want, in addition to the amount.
There are different types of caviar. Although black caviar, from sturgeon roe, is considered the original caviar, there are also other options such as red caviar, which is made from the roe of fish such as sockeye salmon, cod or trout.
However, black caviar is the most expensive and has a large number of varieties. The Caspian Sea is home to the largest population of these fish, which is why it is usually found in countries such as Iran and Russia. For its part, red caviar is cheaper, which is why it is used to serve it at weddings and different social events.
Then, How much does caviar cost? A small portion of black caviar (50 grams) has an approximate price of between 40 and 90 euros, while a kilogram can cost between 3,000 and 25,000 euros.
Caviar is a food with a wide variety of health benefits, since it works as an aphrodisiac and also contains large amounts of omega 3. In this sense, it helps treat the symptoms of bipolarity, increases appetite and is an excellent remedy to combat depression.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to eat caviarWe recommend that you enter our Food and Drink category.