When it comes to cleaning the home, carpets are often a headache, as keeping them germ-free and in good condition is a challenge. This can be even more complicated if you have covered parts of your floor with rugs or if there are children and pets at home. Therefore, knowing how to clean carpets at home is essential to have an elegant, beautiful and impeccable home.
At oneHOWTO we offer you several alternatives to discover how to clean dry carpets and with other household products in order to save time and money on cleaning products. Take note and follow the instructions below to learn how to clean carpets at home!
How to clean very dirty carpets
If you are wondering how to clean carpets at home and, more specifically, how to clean very dirty carpets that seem to have no fix, you should know that anything is possible and that there are several methods to remove dust and dirt from carpets.
In addition to removing germs, impurities and stains, it is important to keep the carpets in good condition, since any gap or loose thread can make the piece ugly or even cause accidents.
The main thing to keep in mind is what products to use to disinfect without damaging the tissues and how to leave a pleasant scent in the space. Likewise, you must be clear about how to use each cleaning product to optimize its effect in each case.
Vacuum cleaners and bristle brushes are usually the best options for this task, however, here are some effective methods of cleaning carpets at home that you may not know so well. Let’s go there!
How to clean carpets with baking soda
Baking soda is ideal for cleaning all types of carpets, since it does not damage fabrics and is one of the most effective products when cleaning the home. Also, if you are wondering how to dry clean carpets, you should know that baking soda is one of the fundamental products that you will need. For optimize its cleaning and disinfecting action, you will need to:
- 100 grams of baking soda
- 100 grams of salt
Steps to follow:
- Gently mix the baking soda with the salt until you get a uniform mixture.
- Spread the powder all over the surface of the carpet.
- Let the mixture soak into the fabrics for at least an hour.
- Vacuum the carpet, picking up all the particles in the mixture and you have already learned how to clean carpets with baking soda.
Baking soda helps rid the fabric of dust and bacteria, greatly improving its smell and appearance. If you want to discover other uses for baking soda at home, don’t miss this other oneHOWTO article. You will be able to use this incredible product for a large number of tasks!
How to clean carpets with ammonia
Ammonia is an ideal complement to remove deep stains on resistant fabrics, mainly due to its incredible cleaning and disinfecting properties. To clean carpets with ammonia you will need the following ingredients:
- 100 ml of ammonia
- A liter of warm water
- Liquid detergent to clean dishes
- A bristle brush
If you wonder how to clean very dirty carpets, you should know that ammonia is your best ally. Follow the step by step that we present below:
- Put on your gloves and prepare the mixture in a ventilated place. Ammonia is highly toxic, so inhalation and skin contact should be avoided.
- Mix 100ml of ammonia with one liter of warm (not boiling) water in a disposable container.
- Test a small section of the carpet for the resistance of the fabric to the mixture to avoid damaging it.
- Open the windows before you start cleaning the carpet so you don’t get dizzy from the smell of the mixture.
- Spray the carpet in parts. Gently scrub each wetted surface with a bristle brush, without applying too much force when scrubbing. After a while, you will see how the carpet stains disappear completely.
Do you want more information on How to clean a carpet with ammonia? Visit this other oneHOWTO article.
How to clean carpets with a steam cleaner
Steam is a great alternative for all types of rugs, as it quickly removes dust and impurities without damaging fabrics. If you are wondering how to clean carpets at home with a steam cleaner, get the following materials:
- A steamer
- Baking soda with salt
- Detergent or vinegar
- A damp cloth
Let’s continue to see how to clean carpets with a steam cleaner step by step:
- Clear the entire area you want to clean. Remove furniture and objects from the path.
- With a damp cloth, clean the baseboards, since when you operate the steam cleaner, dust accumulated on them can be released.
- Sprinkle salted baking soda on the carpet to optimize steam cleaning.
- Read the instructions for use of the steamer. Fill your tank with hot water (not boiling) and detergent or vinegar, according to the specifications of the appliance and your preferences when cleaning your home.
- Start vacuuming from the diagonal corner to the front door of the room.
- Slowly vacuum the entire surface and do it in lines, passing the steamer twice through each area.
- Let the carpet dry completely and you are done, you have discovered how to dry clean carpets in another effective way.
Other homemade products for cleaning carpets at home
There are other ways to clean carpets with homemade products, ingredients to remove stains and impurities quickly and easily that you can surely get easily. Here are some homemade products to clean carpets at home:
- Soda water: Mix water with soda in a container and spread the liquid all over the carpet. Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes, then place absorbent paper on the moistened surface. This method is ideal to avoid staining the carpet in case some kind of liquid gets on it.
- Vinegar water: Mix vinegar with hot water in a bowl. Spray the carpet with the liquid (you can use a spray bottle) and scrub the moistened surface with a bristle brush. This way you can easily remove stains from your carpets and get rid of even the most troublesome stains.
- Cornstarch or cornstarch– Sprinkle cornstarch (also known as cornstarch) on the carpet and let the product sit for 30 minutes before vacuuming. Finally, go over the entire intervened area with a dry brush. This method is ideal for removing grease and oil stains.
- Hydrogen peroxide and dish soap: In case of wine stains or other strong liquids, mix a tablespoon of your dish soap with a cup of hydrogen peroxide. Spread the mixture on the carpet and leave for half an hour. Next, run a damp bristle brush over the carpet and scrub gently to finish removing dirt before wiping the mixture dry. If you want more information on How to remove wine stains with hydrogen peroxide, don’t miss this other article.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to clean carpets at home, we recommend that you enter our Home Cleaning category.