Keloids can be defined as overgrowths of scar tissue where a skin lesion has already healed. They can appear after surgical interventions, acne, burns, chickenpox, ear piercings, vaccinations, burns, etc., and although they constitute a health problem, they are quite unsightly and in some cases they can cause a little itching or irritation . If you want to know how you can promote its elimination without having to resort to expensive treatments or surgery, pay close attention to this OneHowTo article. We reveal what they are the best home remedies for keloid scars that you can use at home to promote the healing of your skin.
Why do keloids form
During the wound healing process, the skin has a series of mechanisms to close the injury and heal properly, and among these mechanisms is to produce collagen for good healing. Now when that collagen production is excessive, on the scar appears a kind of fibrous and hard formation, which is what is known as keloid.
Keloids can be pink or reddish in color, protruding and slightly itchy in some cases, as well as becoming irritated from rubbing against clothing. Specialists have pointed out that their training is closely related to the genetic factors, since there are people who never form a keloid and, on the other hand, others in whom this happens to them in up to 80% of their wounds. It has also been pointed out that they are more frequent in women than in men, in young people between 10 and 20 years of age.
Aloe vera It is one of the best medicinal plants that exist for skin care and for reduce scars, including keloids. This is thanks to its incredible regenerative properties that allow repairing damaged skin tissues and its powerful anti-inflammatory effects. In addition, it is very moisturizing and has antiseptic properties that keep the dermis protected against infections.
- First, clean the scar area with warm water.
- Apply some aloe vera gel on the keloid about 2 times a day. Aloe vera gel can be extracted directly from an aloe leaf or purchased as a lotion in pharmacies or stores specializing in the sale of natural products.
You can learn more about the properties of aloe vera to eliminate scars by consulting the article Does aloe vera remove scars?
Another one of the best home remedies for keloid scars you can turn to is the Apple vinager. This popular product reduces redness in the area where the scar has formed and helps reduce the size of the scar. In addition to this, it is anti-inflammatory and antibacterial, so it prevents suffering from skin infections.
- Dilute the apple cider vinegar in a little water.
- Apply the mixture on the keloid and leave it on for about 30 minutes.
- After time, clean with warm water.
- Repeat the treatment 2 or 3 times a day for about 5 weeks in a row to notice the results.
What home treatment for keloids, also highlights baking soda, a product with many beneficial properties for the health of the body and also for the skin. It acts as a good natural exfoliant, it favors the cleansing of the skin and its abrasive action helps to reduce the visibility of keloids.
- In a bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of baking soda with 1 tablespoon of honey.
- Apply the paste obtained on the affected area and let it act for about 20 minutes.
- Clean the skin with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the treatment 2-3 times a day.
Rose water, sandalwood and lemon
There is a treatment that is very effective when it is intended remove keloid scars or at least reduce its size. This is made from rose water, sandalwood and lemon, three very effective products. Rose water is invigorating, reduces inflammation and acts against irritation, sandalwood regenerates damaged skin and lemon helps eliminate keloids and scars thanks to its vitamin C content, which is also ideal for lightening the skin and unifying its tone.
- Mix some sandalwood powder with rose water to get a smooth paste.
- Add a few drops of lemon juice to the previous mixture and stir.
- Apply the paste obtained on the keloid before going to sleep.
- Leave it on overnight and when you get up, rinse your skin with warm water.
- Repeat the treatment every day for about 2 months and you will get good results.
Thanks to its healing and moisturizing properties, Honey has also emerged as one of the home remedies for keloids more powerful. And not only this, it also has antifungal properties that are perfect to promote the healing of scars and get the skin to regain its normal state.
- Apply some fresh honey on the scar area.
- Massage the area gently and in circular motions.
- Let it sit for 20 minutes and finally clean it with warm water.
- Repeat the process every day.
Aspirin that we sometimes use to relieve headaches can also serve to remove keloid scars, especially to minimize its size and make the appearance of the scar much less visible. Aspirin has become a popular skin lightening remedy thanks to its salicylic acid content, which also helps to deeply exfoliate the skin and fight blemishes.
- Crush 3-4 aspirin into a fine powder.
- Add a little water to get a consistent paste.
- Apply the resulting paste on the scar and wait for it to dry completely.
- When it has dried, clean the area with plenty of water.
- Repeat the treatment every day.
Keloid scar creams
Besides all the home remedies for keloids above, there are two regenerating creams that stand out above the rest when it comes to reducing and eliminating scars:
- Calendula cream: It has regenerative and healing properties, helps to heal wounds and repair damaged skin.
- Snail slime cream: It has a substance called allantaoin that repairs and regenerates the skin in depth, as it favors the renewal of the cells that make up the dermis and is anti-irritant.
- Wash the keloid area with warm water and mild soap.
- Apply the cream on the scar and distribute the product with gentle circular massages.
- Repeat the application about 2 times a day, once in the morning and once at night.
This article is merely informative, at oneHOWTO we do not have the power to prescribe any medical treatment or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Home remedies for keloid scars, we recommend that you enter our category of Diseases and side effects.