It is more common than it may seem to feel pain and discomfort in the genital lips at some time in life. In addition, it is common for this sensation to interrupt the routine and intimacy of those who suffer from it. There can be multiple causes for which this problem can appear, from an allergic cause to a condition capable of producing serious health problems.
If you suffer discomfort in your private parts and want to know why, keep reading because in this oneHOWTO article we tell you all about the pain in the genital lips, its causes and treatment.
Genital labia pain and other symptoms
Women with an active sexual life are more likely to suffer from this condition, and it is also frequent that other symptoms appear or that there are symptoms associated with pain in the genital lips.
- Vaginal itching
- Burning in the genital lips.
- Changes in vaginal discharge.
- Redness of the genital lips.
- Stitches on the genital lips.
If you feel burning in the genital lips it is possible that you are facing an infectious process in the vulva or vagina, that is why it is especially important to go to a specialist, which in this case will be the gynecologist, so that you can analyze other symptoms and reach a diagnosis to apply the most appropriate treatment.
If one of the symptoms you have is inflammation of the genital lips, this other oneHOWTO article can help you, because in it we give you answers about why I have swollen labia majora.
Genital labia pain: causes
As we have mentioned before, the reasons why this problem can appear are many, but the following are the main causes of pain in the genital lips:
- Bartolinitis: The Bartholin’s glands secrete fluid that lubricates the vagina and is located on each side of the vaginal opening. Sometimes these glands become inflamed, resulting in an abscess. Faced with this problem, you can experience pain in the genital lips when sitting, walking or having sex, fever and especially a painful lump near the opening of the vagina. Here we talk more about the symptoms of bartolinitis.
- Vulvodynia: This condition is about chronic pain in the vulvar region. At this, you may experience pain or a burning sensation, even swelling and redness. It can appear spontaneously and the pain is intermittent but lasts over time.
- Vulvar vestibulitis: This condition develops in the vestibule and the symptoms that are usually experienced are inflammation and pain in the secreting mucous glands and the skin, being very annoying.
- Vaginitis: This occurs due to an inflammation of the mucous wall of the vagina and is a problem for which many women go to the gynecologist.
- Vulvar cancer: It is often characterized by constant vulvar itching and pain that is not relieved by any treatment. If you notice white, red or discolored areas on your vulva or vagina, as well as scaly patches similar to warts, a thickening of the skin, an ulcer or any other strange change in your private parts, do not hesitate to go to the gynecologist for to examine you as soon as possible.
- Contact allergy: They are inflammatory skin reactions caused by irritative mechanisms or some external agent. Among these is vulvovaginitis, very similar to vaginitis.
- Vaginal infections: These can be of different origins (bacteria, viruses or fungi).
- During pregnancy, a large amount of hormonal changes which can lead to certain vaginal and vulvar problems, so if you feel pain in the genital lips during pregnancy you should know that all or almost all women suffer from vulvodynia during pregnancy. The same is true for menstruation, and it is completely normal, so if you feel pain in your genital lips during menstruation, try taking a warm bath and changing your tampons and pads frequently to avoid further irritation.
- Having unprotected sex, or that these are abrupt, is also usually a frequent cause that produces this problem.
Treatment for pain in the genital lips
The treatment for pain in the genital lips, as you already know, it will depend on the cause that is producing these annoyances.
- If you suffer from an infection such as bartolinitis, the antibiotics are usually the most useful, but you may need a Small surgery to drain fluid from a cyst or, in more advanced cases, even remove a gland that has been affected.
- If your problem is vulvodynia, the treatment can vary from the use of oral or topical medications, it depends on the symptoms you have, it is also possible that physiotherapy or psychological treatment based on removing irritants capable of causing some type of damage may be applied on the vulva, such as certain intimate hygiene materials such as compresses and soaps.
- The treatment of vulvar vestibulitis consists of the application of steroid creams to relieve discomfort.
- If you suffer from vaginitis, you should know that the treatment will depend on the cause that is producing this problem. It may be due to a foreign object lodged in the vagina or an allergy to a chemical product, for example. Only the doctor will be able to evaluate you and apply the appropriate treatment.
- If your problem is vaginal cancer, your doctor will evaluate the best treatment, which is usually the removal of the tumor.
If you have any pain in the genital lips, do not hesitate to go to a specialist to examine you and avoid further damage.
Home remedies for genital labia pain
exist home remedies to relieve genital labia pain and discomfort, depending on the cause that is producing the problem:
- Especially if your problem is that you suffer from bartolinitis, the doctor may tell you to perform Sitz baths, which can help the cyst to rupture and drain on its own. These baths consist of sitting in the bathtub and filling it with a little hot water, without burning it. Take these baths 3-4 times a day for 10-15 minutes. You can also take ibuprofen or paracetamol to alleviate the discomfort, always following the instructions of the doctor or pharmacist. You can also use warm water compresses to make yourself feel better. Sitz baths usually relieve pain in the genital lips a lot, but if you have irritation, try to make the water colder than hot.
- Avoid soaps that can irritate your private parts, better use a neutral pH soap.
- Apply cold but not excessively, as the cold will help reduce inflammation by contracting the blood vessels in the area.
- The best thing is that while you are with this problem don’t have sex, but if you do, always use protection and lubricant to minimize friction.
- The natural yogurt It is a remedy that, when applied to the genital lips, tends to relieve burning and, in addition, it acts against harmful fungi and bacteria.
- Leading a healthy life and a balanced diet will make your defenses strong and prevent health problems.
This article is merely informative, at oneHOWTO we do not have the power to prescribe any medical treatment or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.
If you want to read more articles similar to Genital labia pain: causes and treatment, we recommend that you enter our Family Health category.