More than 30% of chronic headaches have to do with the cervical; And this condition is known as cervical migraine, a condition that affects a large number of the population and that can greatly affect our quality of life.
In this article we are going to tell you about the cervical migraine and, also, we will tell you how to relieve cervical headache with tips that you can easily apply in your day to day.
Symptoms of cervical migraine
In order to reduce the headache caused by the cervical, experts recommend focusing on solving any problem or malpractice in our day to day that affects the well-being of our neck.
It is easy to recognize if we are facing a cervical migraine because this condition has symptom as clear as:
– Severe headache in the occipital area
– The pain can affect other parts of the body such as the shoulders, arms and back
– We have limited movement in the neck area
– The pain can lead to the appearance of other symptoms such as nausea, dizziness, malaise, etc.
The diagnosis of cervical migraine should always come from a specialist, since he is the only person who can determine if, really, we are facing this situation. Therefore, it is essential that you consult with your trusted doctor.
Tips to relieve cervical headache
To relieve cervical headaches, there are a series of practices that can help you notice improvement and, above all, prevent the pain from persisting. They are as follows:
– Pain relievers or anti-inflammatories. They are the two most prescribed drugs for the treatment of cervical migraine. However, we must not self-medicate and it should always be a doctor who prescribes this treatment.
– Manual therapies. Going to a physical therapist is a good option to reduce pain. Massages, thermotherapy or punctures are the most common techniques to reduce pressure and restore your well-being.
– Cervical exercises. The physical therapist will also recommend some simple exercises that you can do at home that aim to regain mobility in the area and reduce pressure build-up.
– Apply heat to the area. The heat helps to vasodilate the veins and, therefore, to reduce the tension of the muscle fibers, something that will cause relaxation in the area and well-being.
– Take care of your postural hygiene. And, finally, to relieve cervical migraine it is important that you take into account the body posture that you follow. The vast majority of headaches appear from poor posture at work, sitting, sleeping, etc. To do this, you must be very attentive to your body and, when you feel pain or discomfort, stand up and walk for a while to stretch your muscles well and reduce excess accumulated tension.
In any case, if you suffer from cervical migraine it is important that you go to a doctor to give you the instructions in more detail. Depending on your health and physical condition, the prescription may be different, so don’t risk it!
This information does not replace in any case the diagnosis or prescription by a doctor. It is important to go to a specialist when symptoms occur in case of illness and never self-medicate.
Buonanotte, CF, & Buonanotte, MC (2013). Migraine. Neurology Argentina, 5 (2), 94-100.
Crump, J. (2008). Migraine and tension-type headache. Theory of convergence. Acta neurol. colomb, s8-s12.
O’Mullony, I., Lafuente, A., & Pareja, JA (2005). Cervicogenic headache: Diagnosis, differential diagnosis and general principles of treatment. Journal of the Spanish Pain Society, 12 (1), 24-32.
It may interest you