The mile It is a unit of length used in Anglo-Saxon nations such as the United States and England, as well as in the countries that receive their influence. Given that the rest of the world uses the International System of Units, knowing how many meters or kilometers are a mile is not always easy. The mile is a measure used during the Roman Empire that served to define the distances that spanned a thousand steps.
Therefore, if you are not sure how much a mile is in another unit, do not worry, because in this oneHOWTO article we explain you step by step how much is a mile and what formulas can you use to carry out this conversion.
What is a mile in km?
A mile equates exactly to 1,609 kilometres in the international metric system. So, if you wonder how many km is in a mile, you should know that it is 1,609. So if you want convert miles to kilometersYou just have to use a very simple formula: multiply the number of miles by 1.609 and you will get the kilometers as a result.
Some examples of this would be:
- 5 miles x 1,609 = 8,045 kilometers.
- 10 miles x 1.609 = 16.09 kilometers.
- 20 miles x 1,609 = 32.18 kilometers
- 50 miles x 1,609 = 80.45 kilometers
How much is a mile in meters?
You know how many km a mile has, but if you wonder how many meters is a mile you should know what they are 1609.34 meters. So, to find out how much a mile is in meters, you just have to multiply this number by the miles you want to discover:
- 5 miles x 1609.34 = 8046.7 meters
- 10 miles x 1609.34 = 16093.4 meters
- 20 miles x 1609.34 = 32186.8 meters
- 50 miles x 1609.34 = 80467 meters
Other types of miles and how to calculate them
Now you know how much a mile equals in kilometers, but you should know that there are different types of miles and that each of them has different values. Below we discover them so that you know them and you can apply them in your day to day:
- International mile: it is the one known as “mile” and it is about which we have spoken to you throughout the article. It is used in Anglo-Saxon countries and in English it is known as the “Statute Mile”.
- Survey mile: it is used only by the US public land surveying system and is known as the “Survey Mile.” The equivalence of this mile is 1609 meters = 5280 feet of surveying.
- Nautical mile: A land mile is not the same as a nautical mile and, therefore, neither is its equivalence with the metric system. This type of measurement of marine distances has been used for a long time and was adopted by Western countries, which, to this day, continue to count distances using the mile system instead of the metric one. One mile at sea equals 1852 meters.
In this other oneHOWTO article we tell you how to convert knots to meters. Also, you can see other equivalences that may be useful to you:
If you want to read more articles similar to How much is a mile in kilometers, we recommend that you enter our Training category.