Perhaps if we had the option, we would always choose to go to the hairdresser when we want a change of look for our hair. The problem is that, sometimes, due to lack of time or money, we put off haircuts that would make us feel renewed and better about ourselves. Well, it doesn’t have to be this way, there are many simple techniques for beginners that you can use to change your look at home.
For this reason, at oneHOWTO we want to tell you how to make one of the most popular and easiest cuts to make: the layered cut, also called scaled or staggered. The great thing about this type of cut is that, although it is very easy to do, it gives volume and movement to straight hair. In this way, if you get bored and do not want a too radical change that you cannot make in hairdressing, this is an excellent way to achieve it from the comfort of your home. Stay with us and discover how to cut layered hair at home Step by Step.
How to cut layered hair with a single ponytail
Let’s start with the easier technique practice to achieve a slight scaled cut without being too noticeable. If you’re feeling a bit insecure about cutting your hair yourself, this is a great way to start, as you can cut more layers later if you dare.
Of course: for each of these techniques we recommend using very sharp scissors. Scissors with a blunt or rounded tip, or the scissors with which you cut paper, will not work, since these are losing the edge and can damage your hair. It is best to use professional hairdressing scissors, but if you don’t have one, make sure they are at least well sharpened. Now yes, we leave you how to cut hair in layers step by step:
- Dampen your hair. You can wait for it to dry out a bit after showering or using a water spray.
- Comb it very well until there are no knots.
- Bring all of your hair forward and style it so that it is evenly across the scalp.
- Make a ponytail at the crown. Tie it very well so that it is firm.
- Optionally, you can use a tape measure to measure the length from the base of the ponytail to the tip. This way you can decide how many centimeters to cut more precisely. If it measures 30 cm, for example, it will look good if you cut from 25 cm.
- Comb the ponytail again and stretch it up very well so that there are no hairs on the outside.
- Use your fingers to mark the point to cut and cut. You can also use a hair tie.
- Stretch the ponytail up again and comb it. Cut off any uneven ends.
- Correct until it is even.
If you have trouble pulling your ponytail fully, part it with hair ties to keep it in place.
If you are only interested in cutting the ends of your hair to keep it healthy and alive, be sure to visit our article How and when to cut the ends of your hair so that it grows.
How to cut short layered hair with long hair
If you want to give your hair even more volume and shape, you can follow the same method above, but with a difference: this time we will make the layers dividing the hair at different heights so that we have more layers in the final cut. Keep in mind that if you do it this way, the scaling will be more marked and the layers shorter.
Learn to cut hair In this way it is also very simple, take the scissors, a comb, several pigtails and follow these steps:
- Dampen your hair and comb it out until it is free of knots.
- If you don’t want to touch the length of your hair, leave a first layer of hair untied.
- Collect the hair from the height of the base of the ear and back. Bring that entire portion of your hair forward and tie a ponytail just above the crown of your head. Make sure to collect all of your hair.
- As in the previous method, cut the tip of the short you want. Match as many times as you need and let the hair down.
- Bring your hair back, this time from eye level. Make a ponytail again, stretch it and comb it up.
- Cut the ends, match and loose.
Although you can continue cutting higher, this will be enough for a pretty scaled cut and balanced, with the layers shorter than the previous method.
To find out how often you should cut your hair, click on the link.
How to cut short layered hair
The two previous methods are very useful when you have long and straight hair, because you can collect everything in a single ponytail and bring it forward, but can you do the same if you want? cut short hair in layers? In these cases, as it is very difficult to collect all the hair in a single ponytail, it is best to do it in parts.
Although more laborious, this method can also be used to cut long hair if it is difficult to control it in a single ponytail. Follow these steps to put it into practice if you have shoulder length hair:
- Dampen your hair.
- Pick up the lower part of the hair at the level of the ears, so that you have a loose first part. Pick up with a clip to stay in place and comb loose hair.
- Divide your loose hair in two. Make a ponytail on each side.
- Stretch the ponytail and style it very well. Cut the ends as we have explained in the previous methods. Match if necessary.
- Leave the ponytail on so that you have a hair guide that you should take in the next layer.
- Pick up another section of hair back, but leave the sideburns out. Repeat the procedure: divide the hair and make two ponytails. Cut the same amount as the previous layer. You can cut more hair in the second layer if you want the scaling to be more pronounced.
- Do the same with a third layer higher.
- Finish by picking up the sideburns and cutting them to exactly the same height as the third layer. Ready!
If you want to know more about how to take care of your hair at home so as not to neglect it, we invite you to visit our article Home remedies to have beautiful hair.
If you want to read more articles similar to How to cut layered hair at home, we recommend that you enter our Beauty and Personal Care category.