We have approximately 2 million pores in our skin whose objectives are to help perspiration and protect the fat necessary for skin hydration, among others. But what happens when these pores become clogged or infected? It is then when they acquire that unpleasant appearance that darkens areas of our skin and makes it rough.
You want to know how to close the open pores of the face? At oneHOWTO we offer you some alternatives that can help you improve your appearance. Keep reading and take note of the recommendations we give you.
Why do the pores on my face open
There are many reasons why the pores on the face can dilate, as we will see below. In general, the pores that open the most are those located on the nose, forehead, cheekbones and chin.
- Genetic tendency: the size of the pores has to do with a genetic load. There are people who have larger pores due to their seborrheic glands; that is, they have oilier skin. In this way, when your pores are dilated, it can become more noticeable.
- Hormonal condition: hormonal disorders can cause an increase in fat in the skin. This is very common during the period of puberty and during menopause, as they are moments of notable hormonal imbalances.
- Skin aging: with the passage of time, the skin loses its elasticity and its tension, which makes many pores open or be perceived more easily.
- Dirt and impuritiesThis is surely the most common reason why the pores on the face become dilated and get an unsightly appearance. It can be due to accumulated fat on the face, dead cells that are not removed well from the skin or dirt caused by pollution, among other causes.
Can open pores be closed?
Since perspiration is one of the most important functions of pores, you should know that, in reality, pores cannot be closed completely, it is the most normal thing is that they are open. Pores allow our body to expel toxins through sweat, so the fact that they are open is essential for the proper functioning of our body.
However, when these pores are very enlarged and swollen due to external causes, measures can be taken to soften the skin and return it to its natural appearance. So when we talk about “closing pores” at OneHOWTO, we are actually referring to softening their appearance, cleaning them and returning them to a normal size.
Tips to close the pores on the face
It is always recommended that in the event of the recurrent presence of open pores, you go to a specialist, in this case a dermatologist, to confirm the causes of this condition. However, there are some measures to improve the appearance of pores that can be applied at home and that are very safe and effective. We explain how to remove swollen and enlarged pores on your face.
Perform daily cleanings
Stick to a daily facial cleansing routine in the morning and before bed. Use a good makeup remover toner, micellar water or a neutral soap and always clean your face with cold water, as it is ideal for the pores to contract and reduce inflammation. It is not advisable to clean the face more than twice a day, as it could lose its natural fat and look dry.
After cleaning, always use a moisturizer suitable for your skin type and, if you wish, some vitamin serums. You may find this article about How to do a facial with homemade products.
Exfoliate your face every 15 days
Exfoliating creams help remove dead skin cells and prevent them from accumulating in the pores. In addition, it gives a smoother and softer appearance to your skin, so cleaning every 15 days with this type of product is the most beneficial. Don’t scrub too much or use a very abrasive scrub, as it could further irritate your face. If you prefer home remedies, you can make your own exfoliating cream:
- Mix a tablespoon of flaked oatmeal with a tablespoon of plain yogurt.
- Apply it to your face, rubbing gently in circles and let the ingredients work for a few minutes.
- Finally, remove all the mask with plenty of water and apply a moisturizer after drying your face well.
If you want to know the benefits of other exfoliating ingredients, take a look at this article from How to make homemade scrubs for the face. In addition, we also recommend that once every couple or three months you give yourself a deep skin cleansing to a professional center.
Use moisturizers according to your skin type
It’s important to know what is your type of skin to use the appropriate creams. Combination skin is not the same as oily skin, nor is dry skin the same as sensitive skin, so to make sure we recommend you visit this article on How to know my skin type.
If you are still not sure, we recommend visiting a dermatologist for an evaluation, since using the wrong creams could contribute to generating more sebaceous secretion in your pores.
Apply purifying masks
On the market there are several masks that can help you cleanse your skin more deeply, in addition to hydrating it. You can also make your own mask with beneficial ingredients at home and apply it every 15 days on your face. Yogurt, for example, is a very good ingredient for restoring the appearance of the skin, thanks to its high content of lactic acid and probiotics.
Discover here some Homemade masks for perfect skin.
Help yourself with some ice
We have already commented that cold water contracts and deflates open pores, however, the best option for these cases is ice. If you have very inflamed or enlarged pores, you can try this technique:
- Clean your face well beforehand.
- Take an ice cube and rub it on the affected areas for about 15 to 20 seconds, always very carefully and without extending the time, as it could further irritate sensitive skin.
- Dry your face with a clean towel giving gentle pressure, never rubbing.
Take steam baths
Steam baths help open your pores to release impurities, so we recommend doing them once a month or when you notice that your pores are very inflamed. Keep in mind that people with acne problems should avoid this techniqueas it could lead to an unwanted outbreak.
- Wash your face well with soap and water.
- Take a wide-mouthed bowl and fill it with boiling water. You can add eucalyptus leaves or tea tree oil to enhance the experience, as the incredible properties of these plants will help you cleanse your skin more deeply.
- Place a cloth over your head and bring your face close to the bowl. Leave it there for about 10 minutes.
- After this time, wash your face first with warm water and then with colder water to better seal the pores.
Get a pore sucker
If you are looking for a faster and more noticeable result, you can try a pore sucker. It is a pore cleanser that removes dirt, oil and impurities from the skin quickly and effectively.
In the market you will find many brands with different properties, but from UNCOMO we advise you to take the following into account:
- Select a well-known brand.
- Prefer a device with various levels of suction that adapt to your skin type and the size of your pores.
- Choose an easy-to-recharge cordless sipper.
- Check the battery life time.
- Look at those with ergonomic handles for a better grip and reach the most difficult parts of the face.
- Take into account the opinion of other users.
Take care of your diet
A high-fat diet, junk foods, and dairy contribute to increased oil secretion from the skin. Therefore, it is advisable to include in your diet foods high in vitamins A and C, lean proteins, whole grains and omega 3. Vegetables and fruit, in these cases, are your best allies.
Remedies and masks for open pores
There are many natural alternatives that you can try to restore your skin to its plump, plump appearance. If you have noticed that your pores are a little enlarged, inflamed or are more noticeable than they could be seen before, you can try one of these masks to close pores.
Egg and lemon mask
The egg has always been a widely used ingredient in natural beauty treatments due to its cleansing and revitalizing properties. For this mask, we will use only the egg whites, because when combined with the lemon, they will allow to remove all the impurities from the skin very easily.
- Take two eggs and separate the whites from the yolks.
- In a bowl, place the whites and add a teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Mix both ingredients well and apply the result on the skin, evenly.
- Leave the mask to act for about 15 minutes without exposing your face to the sun.
- Finally, rinse your face with plenty of water and pat it dry.
Aloe vera and orange mask
This mask combines two very beneficial natural ingredients for …