6 Things You Need to Get Salon-Style Hair at Home
Whether you’re trying to save on trips to the salon or just cannot go to your favorite establishment, you may want to curate your very own hairstyling arsenal at home.
Having the tools and products like those professional hairstylists use would make it easier to achieve the hairstyle you want, especially if you know how to use them.
Want to get that salon-style hair every day within the comforts of your home? Below is a list of six things you need to make sure your DIY ‘dos look professionally styled.
Top 4 Products for DIY Salon-Styled Hair
You need more than shampoo and conditioner to achieve a salon-level hairstyle. Here are the top four products you should consider investing in:
Hair serums help protect the hair from dust particles, pollution, humidity, dryness, and heat damage.
If you have thin and straight hair, choose a product that offers light hydration. Meanwhile, those with dry and frizzy hair need serums that can provide intense hydration.
Some serums also add shine and damage protection, which are quite handy when styling.
Brands like L’Oreal Paris, Matrix, St. Botanica, and Kerastase Saudi Arabia offer a wide range of hair serums you can choose from, depending on the type of hair you have.
Besides a haircut, coloring is the easiest way to style your hair. Depending on what product you use and how you maintain it, the new color could also last longer.
Stick to hair coloring products that are ammonia-free to avoid damaging your hair. If you’re not sure of the tone you want, you can dip dye your hair ends to check whether the color suits you.
After coloring, don’t forget to nourish and hydrate your hair tips to prevent any damage. Always read the instructions on how to use these products and follow each step religiously.
Garnier and Wella are two brands that provide gorgeous hues without damaging your hair (with proper use, of course).
Regular use of hair masks ensures that your hair is well-hydrated, softer, and less frizzy. Prioritize products made from natural and organic ingredients and avoid those containing silicon or sulfate to ensure that your tresses are nourished and healthy.
Kerastase’s Masque Therapiste is one of the most commonly used hair masks in salons across the world. It can be used every day to save “over-processed” hair.
Here’s how to use it:
- Squeeze Masque Therapiste about the size of a quarter size on your hands.
- Massage it into wet hair starting from mid-length down to the ends.
- Leave it on for about five to ten minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly.
For days when it’s impossible to shampoo your hair, you can use dry shampoo to remove greasiness from your locks because of excess oil. This will ensure that your hair looks (and smells) lovely.
Pro tip: Make sure you only use dry shampoo on the roots to maintain the texture of your hair. Don’t forget to follow the instructions on the label for the best results.
Some of the popular brands you can choose from, according to Harper’s Bazaar, include:
- Living Proof
2 Essential Tools for Salon-Style Hair
Besides stocking up on hair styling products, you also need a couple of tools to make sure you get salon-styled hair safely. Below is a list of the salon tools you will need:
Dyson Airwrap Complete Styler
If you’re still wondering whether there is a tool that curls, straightens, and does almost every styling you can ever think of, then you’ve probably haven’t heard about the Airwrap Complete styler from Dyson KSA. This unique tool promises expert-level hair styling minus the hair follicle damage caused by heat.
While its price range is on the high side, it’s definitely worth the investment given the state-of-the-art technology used to engineer this multipurpose tool. Come to think of it, regular salon appointments can also get expensive, so why not invest in something you could use anytime?
The Dyson Airwrap Complete has attachments for:
- Curls and waves – The Airwrap Complete has 0.8-, 1.2-, and 1.6-inch long wrap barrel attachments to achieve different levels of curliness and waviness for your hair. Barrels with larger diameters are also available for looser curls and gorgeous waves.
- Smoothness and volume – You can also choose from small round volumizing, small soft smoothing, small firm smoothing, firm smoothing, round volumizing, and soft smoothing brushes, depending on your styling needs.
Brushes and Combs
Of course, your styling arsenal wouldn’t be complete without the right brushes and combs.
Every salon has a wide range of brushes and combs used to simplify the work of a hairdresser. They make cutting, coloring, and styling all types of hair so much easier.
Different brushes and combs are made for various purposes – from separating hair to curl or straighten them. The design and material they are made from particularly aid in the effortless handling of your tresses during styling.
For example, the rattail comb has two jobs: dividing the hair into sections and styling it. Heat-resistant variants are advantageous because they can be used with blow dryers, hair straighteners, and other tools that use heat.
Alternatively, a wide-toothed comb can also be used to separate hair during styling. The only difference is that it does so without putting too much friction on the strands, thereby minimizing hair fall. This type of comb comes in carbon fiber, graphite resin, and silicon materials – all of which glide smoothly through the hair and can weather high temperatures.
There are also several types of brushes you’ll need, including:
- Paddle Brush – This brush helps smoothen and detangle straight hair. Choose paddle brushes with boar bristles as they aid in spreading natural oils down to the tips of your hair.
- Vented Brush – This type of brush has spaces in between its bristles to promote airflow, making it the perfect partner for the blow-dryer. It is specifically designed to facilitate faster drying. As a bonus, it is easy to clean, too.
- Round Barrel Brush – You’ll also want a regular round barrel brush in your arsenal for when you’re not styling with your Dyson Airwrap. These are commonly made from metal and are also used with a blower. The metal parts heat up during the process, resulting in a curling effect on your tresses.
DIY a Gorgeous Hairstyle
No matter what type of hair you have, having the right tools and products can help you do your own hairstyle like a pro. Use this list as a reference and start your DIY home salon today.